Saturday, April 7, 2012

Breaking Down the LAAPFF Schedule

Look what came in the mail yesterday!


That's right, it's the full schedule for this year's Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival! (You're excited too - I can tell...)

I love a good film festival and this one is massive. Hosted at three venues in Hollywood, Koreatown, and Long Beach, this year's festival schedule is packed with fantastic films and programs for filmmakers and film lovers.

Flipping through the schedule was especially fun because I found several projects starring people I'm blessed to call my friends.

Check out the all-Lynn Chen page of the brochure! She has four projects in the festival - Nice Girls Crew, Surrogate Valentine, the Surrogate Valentine sequel Daylight Savings, and Yes, We're Open. Talk about Lynn-sanity!


Crossover abounds - Sheetal Sheth, who I recently met, is in Nice Girls Crew and Yes, We're Open. Fellow Taiwanese-American Michelle Krusiec is also in Nice Girls Crew and Sunset Stories, which recently traveled to SXSW.


I'm finally going to see my friend Kimberly Rose-Wolter's Hawaii-set feature Knots! (I've read the script - it's fantastic!)


And Lily Mariye's first feature Model Minority is also premiering. We met while judging a pitch competition last year. I remember her working the heck out of Facebook and Twitter to get this movie made. Can't wait to see it!


Finally, a blast from the past is coming to LA. Patrick Wang and I both went to MIT and even starred in a production of Into The Woods together. (He was the Baker, I was the Wicked Stepmother. You see it, right?)

His feature writing/directing debut In the Family has been taking the world by storm. It was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award, won top honors at the San Diego Asian Film Festival and San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival, and is starting a theatrical run this month.

I remember Patrick being fiercely talented and committed - I can't wait to see this masterpiece!


My schedule is packed - now I just need to buy tickets!


Are you going to the LAAPFF this year?

8 comments:

  1. oh my! i haven't even seen the brochure and didn't know i had whole page! ha- thanks, teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have done that on purpose, right? :) Congratulations - this is definitely your year at the festival!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shoutout Teresa! So many talented folks and interesting projects. XO miche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually gonna try to make a trip to LA around festival time. Lots of balls in the air on a ticking time clock to make it happen, but it would sure be nice to support some of my cool peeps. ...AND to see some films I will never have opportunity to see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Hopefully we can meet in person and talk writing. I'm going to try to see everything I can!

      Delete
  4. That would be awesome. I'll keep you posted. If I'm able to come, I imagine I'll be butt numb from watching film after film after film...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberly-Rose WolterApril 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM

    Let's festival together! Wanna catch some of the films. But I have seen Nice Girls Crews and highly recommend it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we should! I'm going to try to see as many as I can...

      Delete